In Memoriam: Kimo Campbell

Sadly, we have lost one of our own. James Kimo Campbell, long-time activist and leader of the  Pohaku Fund , a donor advised fund supporting environment protection, civil rights and Hawaiian sovereignty housed here at Tides since 1987, passed away on February 16th from complications due to Lou Gehrig’s disease. Kimo was a fighter, an activist who surprised people due to his fiscal responsibility. Known for not only his passion in righting what he believed to be wrong, Kimo shared his intelligence, fairness and his canny ability to work through complicated issues to insure successful solutions.

Kimo personified the famous John F. Kennedy quote, “ One person can make a difference and everyone should try. “The one way to insure that you have no political power is not to do anything," Kimo said in a 1977 interview. "I don't have a lot of patience with people who say there's no use in doing anything because everyone is corrupt. We can't afford to have people on the sidelines." Kimo always played centerfield.

Please join us in sending our condolences to the Campbell family.

6 Responses to “In Memoriam: Kimo Campbell”

1. steffi curtis malaspina says:

Kimo was such a kind man. He personified what is best in the spirit of Hawaii.
    I have not seen him for many many years but I am sure his life was full of good works and love. Blessings to the family.

2. Luba says:

Very sad about this news, I always enjoyed speaking with Kimo. My condolences to his family.

3. Ssimmons says:

Here at the Northern California Community Loan Fund, we had the opportunity to know and work with Kimo for many years. What a brilliant and curious person he was!!! We always enjoyed every visit we had with Kimo -- he was truly a renaissance man, in every sense of the word. We shall miss him a great deal. Sherry Simmons

4. Susan Erdman says:

Mahalo, Kimo, for your beautiful spirit and amazing generosity of time and love!

• Bill Lewis says:

Susan: Kimo and I were childhood friends in Lanikuhonua in the late 1950's. We traveled different paths, yet kept in touch over the years. I have many stories of our youth together. His passing is a great loss for the world community, Bill, Aikane Kaliko

5. Smoss says:

Kimo was a one of a kind individual who despite his shyness was incredbily bold in his resolve and convictions. I so adored his gentlesness, his humblesness an admired all that he did to live a loving and generous life. He is a mentor, a shining light, and I can hardly believe he is no longer with us. I miss him, his spirit and all the good works that he did. He was a breath of fresh air. Mahalo, and be well. I am still so increbibly sad. Suzanne