Dear Fox Advertiser

Dear Fox Advertiser,

I am writing to ask your company to take a simple step that may well save lives in the future. And it is not unimportant that taking this action will remove your company and its products from any connection to what could very likely be an unpleasant tragedy, should things remain as they are today. On behalf of my organization, and many others like it, I ask that you cease advertising on the Fox News Channel.

This is neither a hollow request, nor one rhetorically made. There is an urgency to it born of our own direct experience as the target of a would-be assassin inspired by Fox's Glenn Beck Show.

On July 19th of this year, I arrived at our San Francisco office to learn that a misguided person carrying numerous guns and body armor had been on his way to start a "revolution" by murdering my colleagues and me. The Oakland Police Department called to tell us that, following a 12 minute shootout with the California Highway Patrol, law enforcement officials arrested an assailant who had targeted the Tides Foundation, an organization which I founded and currently serve as CEO, and the ACLU for violence. To say we were "shocked" does not adequately describe our reaction. Imagine, for a moment, that you were us and, had it not been for a sharp eyed highway patrolman, a heavily armed man in full body armor would have made it to your office with the intent to kill you and your colleagues. His motive? Apparently, it was because the charitable, nonpartisan programs we run are deemed part of a conspiracy to undermine America and the capitalist system, which is hogwash.

Although not a political organization, the Tides Foundation has been a frequent target of misinformation, propaganda, and outright lies by Fox News' Glenn Beck. Since his arrival at Fox in early 2009, Beck has repeatedly vilified Tides, suggesting we are intent on "creat[ing] a mass organization to seize power." He accuses the foundation of indoctrination and says we are "involved in some of the nastiest of the nasty." Beck tells viewers that Tides has "funneled" money to "some of the most extreme groups on the left" and that our mission is to "warp your children's brains and make sure they know how evil capitalism is." In total, prior to the attempted rampage, Beck had attacked the Tides Foundation 29 times. On September 28th, more than a month after the shooting, Beck reiterated his focus on the Tides Foundation, warning, "I'm coming for you." In jailhouse interviews, the gunman confessed he views Beck as a "schoolteacher" who "blew my mind." My would-be killer admitted that Beck "give[s] you every ounce of evidence you could possibly need" to commit violence.

Beck is a self-described "Progressive Hunter" who relies on violent rhetoric. Do you really think that the millions of Americans who describe themselves as "progressive" need to be "hunted down"? If so, to what end?

For hours every day on radio and television, Beck pits American against American, telling his audience that our country is under attack by a demonic Nazi-like regime seeking to destroy all that is great about America while insisting it's up to his viewers to resist and revolt. He warned his audience that "these are the most dangerous two years of our republic. Because in the end, in revolutions, the real dangerous killers show up." Beck even compared our government to vampires while instructing his viewers to "drive a stake through the heart of the bloodsuckers" and pretended to poison Speaker Pelosi on television. A few months later, Gregory Giusti was arrested for repeatedly threatening House Speaker Nancy Pelosi -- including threatening to destroy her home -- because he was upset over health care reform. The man's mother told a local news station he listens to those with "really radical ideas," adding, "I'd say Fox News or all of those that are really radical."

When I started the Tides organizations 35 years ago, I did so in the very American belief that ordinary citizens had a role to play in our democratic process. It was, I thought, the responsibility of everyone to become engaged in our civic life, and for years we've worked with thousands of Americans to do just that. And, while we support progressive values and goals, we respect the rights and voices of those with whom we disagree on issues. Never in our history have we tolerated employees or grantees that support those who would do harm to others. By supporting Fox News Channel, you and your company are risking your reputation and good standing because they are doing just this.

As you may know, a coordinated advertiser boycott by Media Matters and Color of Change, an online civil rights group, has caused Glenn Beck's Fox News show to lose over 100 sponsors. Despite the campaign's success, Fox insists it has had no impact on the channel's profitability because the overall demand for advertisements on Fox has remained stable. Companies are still paying to advertise on Fox News, but their ads are simply moved to a different time of day. Thus, businesses that pay to broadcast commercials on Fox News are subsidizing Glenn Beck's television show by continuing to pump money into the network. It has become clear that the only way to stop supporting Beck is to stop supporting Fox News.

I respectfully request that you bring this matter of your company's sponsorship of hate speech leading to violence to the attention of your fellow directors as soon as possible. I believe no responsible company should advertise on Fox News due to its recent and on-going deplorable conduct.

While we may agree to disagree about the role our citizens and our government should play in promoting social justice and the common good, there should be no disagreement about what constitutes integrity and professionalism and responsibility in discourse – even when allowing for and encouraging contending diverse opinions intelligently argued. This is not a partisan issue. It's an American issue. No one, left, right or center, wants to see another Oklahoma City.

The next "assassin" may succeed, and if so, there will be blood on many hands. The choice is yours. Please join my call to do the right thing in this regard and put Fox News at arm's length from your company by halting your advertising with them.

Sincerely,

Drummond Pike
CEO and Founder, Tides

170 Responses to “Dear Fox Advertiser”

1. Arthuro Penn says:

Thank you Mr.Pike for your brilliant and pertinent letter. Of course Glenn Beck and the likes on Fox News have a political agenda. Where are the Republican leaders for not stopping their agenda of hate?

2. lynn starling says:

Mr.Pike,

The truth should always be revealed. You should not be afraid of any source that espouses differing views.

As a Beck supporter, I invite your followers to watch his entire program for one week. Then you can voice an informed opinion.

I suspect that a number of your bloggers follow blindly without firsthand knowledge of Beck's honest intentions as shown on his program. Be fair, be informed, before you speak. Then your opinion has value. You may even change your mind.

As a middle school teacher, I have a problem with Tides materials in the classroom which try to convince children that our country's capitalism is evil. Your "Story of Stuff" does that very steathfully in its cartoon form. It is quite another matter to present that to adults.

Also, why would you present a controversial program to children within the church setting? Again, it's perfectly legit to seek out adult minds.

Please remember that "crazies" exist in every venue, even in the Tides Foundation. No one should be violently targeted for their beliefs.

I don't expect to receive hateful replies to my differing point of view. Prove that your followers are respectful as well. Thank you.

• LMG says:

One only has to watch SECONDS of Glenn Beck's television program to realize that he is not only fundamentally wrong on issues, he is merely a high functioning mentally ill person who Fox is exploiting until he self-combusts. His followers often have the same strain of paranoid-type mental disability, which means they share his psychotic view on things--NOT that he is correct.

• LMG says:

our country's capitalism is evil

Well, like everything human beings touch, it can be a source of evil. Especially when we don't teach our youth to think critically about materialism and its bad effects on the social order.

• Irene Ross says:

I am quite shocked and surprised that a person in charge of educating young minds would think that Glen Beck is some sort of role model.....thank God that my children were never exposed to someone like you in the classroom . ...... and no thanks I HAVE listened to him and find that he is the most racist most devisive American that I have ever heard.

• Marilyn says:

As a teacher you should be ashamed of yourself! I hope your students are not exposed to your radical views. Glenn Beck is a menace and a threat to society, a mad clown who gets people like you to listen and applaud him. Words have consequences, Timothy McVeigh was inspired by a hateful book to commit his act of terrorism.

• james says:

I am glad you believe no one should be targeted for their beliefs. I have followed Glenn Beck a great deal over the past few years because I want to know what his followers see in him and with all due respect Beck is everything I absolutely do detest about my country. One does not need to be pro-Beck to be pro-American. Beck is emotional, is a demagogue, is anti-intellectual, and is deeply deeply racist. Beck's honest intentions are to take America back to a fictional past. I will fight, until the day I die, people like Beck and more importantly, his followers who are responsible for him.

• Danielle B says:

Well said Lynn....thank you for taking the time to post, I couldn't have said it any better! Glenn is a right-on Patriot...and is revealing/exposing so much of the dirty corruption in this Obamastration....they are running scared!! Again...thank you! And keep the Faith/Hope/ and Charity....

• Mugatu says:

I have watched Beck and viewed him as a pure entertainer, saying outlandish things. More and more it concerns me that people do not see him as that, or at the very least take it as his viewpoint, not fact.

My problem with Beck is not his facts its how he uses actual facts and twists them to fit his view.

You seem to be an intelligent person with the ability to view things in perspective but, I think you are missing a big point. If I say these people are Nazis, they want to rape your children, they want to put your grandparents in front of death panels, they are destroying the fabric of this country, they only want to destroy America, the President is a racist but, don't use violence. You can see the rhetoric and what he may really means, get angry and go vote these people out. What about the many others who take his speech as gospel?

I'm sorry, you seem to have a very legitimate concern regarding Tides and while we can agree there are extremes in any situation I personally truly believe that Beck will continue to incite others if he can make money. That is totally his right but, I would hope he would have a bit of compassion and bring the rhetoric down a little in consideration that not all of his viewers may not see the meaning behind the strong words.

• Catherine says:

"Story of Stuff" was a great program, so well done, I was very glad that the Tides Foundation funded and supported a woman who spent so much working on her research, and really deciding how best to share information that, although Beck deems 'unamerican' the planet really needs to hear. Its really important that the form of capitalism that we currently have (short-term, unaccountable, unresponsive and plain, short-sighted) needs innovation and some open minds to solve real issues of sustainability, production and fairness.

Keep up the great work Tides Foundation!

I find no redeeming quality in Glen Beck, and if fact, believe the FCC should revoke Fox's public license to operate given its totally lack of factual information, in violation of its license mandate to serve the public as a NEWS organization. Rather, I find Beck to be an idiotic mouthpiece of hate who frankly couldn't be anyone's teacher for lack of basic knowledge.

Hopefully you're ok with my difference of opinion.

Oh, and hey, GO TIDES!

• terri autorino says:

What truth could Beck possibly reveal; he never provides facts of any kind. I think as a teacher, you might enjoy the factually motivated Rachel Maddow Show. If you watch her for just 3 days, I'm sure you will learn more than you would want to admit.

Mr Pike's brilliantly written "plea" does not stem from fear of differing opinions; it's due to the very real threat of crazy people like Tim McVeigh or Beck having a show for recruiting lunatics like Williams, who was admittedly on a "mission from Beck" to "violently target" people at Tides because of their differing views.

• Edgar Brenninkmeyer says:

Dear Lynn,

I am a legal immigrant, of Dutch origin. I have lived in this country for almost 15 years now. Before coming to the US, I have lived in Germany for 22 years. I met, and became friends with, elderly persons in both West and East Germany (crossing the border from West to East Berlin at checkpoint Charlie). Once, while in East Germany, I watched the state run TV program. The issues and contents and contexts were all different, but not the tone and style. Glenn Beck' rhetorical style sounds quite familiar to those communist ideologues. I also met with people who had lived through the earlier tyranny of the Nazis, and have seen documentaries about the media tactics employed by them. Joseph Goebbels would be proud of Glenn Beck. The Holocaust began first with words. Then books were burned. Then synagogues. You know what came of that: the burning of human beings on an unprecedented scale. Do you want "progressive hunting" to happen here in America? Glenn Beck is a dangerous man. He will have to be held responsible when people take up their guns and start killing fellow Americans, or burning synagogues, mosques, or churches. No wonder that among immigrants some begin to think whether it may be desirable to leave the US. I have tried to watch FOX for a week. I did not succeed, because I became sick, and because I could not stop thinking of what I had seen and heard from my friends in Germany.

• I find it hard to believe that you have very much to offer in the classroom if you spend so much time watching Beck. Every time I have ever watched his show I have been struck by the high level of stupidity he brings to the table. I recall his talking on and on about socialism and how Obama was bringing down our nation in a socialistic heap. When suddenly Beck stopped and said to the camera, "and you know how I know that? I studied it by checking out a book from my public library!" The sad thing is that he neglected to say that the library system is a collective socialist organization.

• Mae says:

Don't be brainwashed. This man is trouble and he is trying to get someone killed. He lies on a daily show to you guys and you don't even know the difference.

• Capt Aclow says:

Glenn Beck and anyone else is certainly allowed to be critical of any organization, including the Tides Foundation.

The problem arises with the level of hate speech and not-so-thinly-veiled calls to violence that he preaches to his listeners.

You can't yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater. It's also possible to bear responsibility for inciting violence.

What you think about Glenn Beck's beliefs doesn't matter at all. What matters is his possible culpability for inciting violence.

3. T Byrd says:

Give or take a couple million people, Beck, Limbaugh, et al, have a built in market of 30 million that, no matter what, will believe anything they hear from these well-funded subversives. They also firmly believe that "W" and his fellow repubs had nothing at all to do with the state of affairs in this country.
    An even more travesty heaped on our heads is the Supreme Court's decision to allow a corporation to be considered an individual with voting rights. Can I hear you say "activist judges"? This is much more dangerous for our country than any other factor today. People should be marching in the streets to protest this usurping of the Constitution.
    How can we protest the US Chamber of Commerce?
    I apologize for the long post.

4. James Rhodes says:

Mr. Pike, silencing free speech is anti-American. Period.

Some crazed nutjob tried to attack Sarah Palin a while back.

Should every broadcaster who's gone after her be silenced as well?

This is a slippery, anti-American slope that you're sliding down.

• MBL says:

Mr. Rhodes,

MR. Pike is doing nothing of the sort. He is calling on advertisers to use their free will to stop funding the production of the Beck show. It is the marketplace working exactly as it should. As you well know, Mr Pike has no authority to silence anyone, but is making an appeal to reason in light of the fact that at least one unstable man was pushed to the brink (by his own admission, listen to the jailhouse interview) by the maniacal meanderings one Glen Beck. Remaining silent would be to self-censor one's own free speech rights which you seem to hold so dear.

• Bob Bruman says:

SLIPPERY SLOPE. Is it, is it really?

Words have power and SILENCE=DEATH. I have watched for decades as people have remained silent and others expose themselves as haters and worshipers of intolerance. Even today thousands of gay men and women are targeted, especially the youth and people DIE! Thousands DIE! Because good people say nothing while many continue from pulpits to classrooms to hate, and to be bullies. Yes people die mean cruel and often ugly deaths - from being half beaten to death and left on barbed wire fences to die, to being shot, to being thrown off bridges!

Do you approve of that? Too?

These are my brothers and sisters! And as a gay father and grandfather I have taught my grandchild the importance of respect and the power of words and the great harm of silence!

It takes genuine courage to stand up and face down hate, but we all must do so or it will pulverize us all - US ALL.

Recently Glenn spoke of hate, and the horrors of the homophobia crimes recently committed in New York. If you are a watcher you know what I am referring to. I applaud him for that but less than four years ago the same man said, that the New York Times’s refusal to print the anti-gay slur “amazing,” claiming that “faggot” is nothing more than a “naughty name.”

So what are you saying Glenn it is ok to call gays FAGGOT but not ok to kill them?

Glenn is responsible, his words are responsible for hate, he may not be the perpetrator but he is an instigator; and so is Bill O, when he says or suggests Muslims bombed us on 9/11. It is twisting the facts into hate, or when FOX news says "all terrorists are Muslim." This disregards, twists and grinds the truth down to a poisonous pudding. Don't be fooled by men or women who hate, because they are neither American or Christian!

The United States I grew up in was built on love and neighborly kindness and it is the only way it will survive. We must quit dividing and come together and we all most insist our politicians, pundits and "news servers" do the same.

I am a grandfather, I have a daughter and three grandbabies. I fear because intolerance hate and anger is rising in this country! And I fear for what may come and I fear for what I am seeing.

We MUST pay attention to the rhetoric of people like Beck, words are power and power can be brutal and cruel in the wrong hands. We must pay attention and act, and not allow people to speak freely especially if those words insight riot and harm and mayhem! "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Steve says:

That's an absurd comment coming from a (presumed) conservative who I assume believes in a free market. A program supported by businesses must abide by the standards within which those businesses choose to exist. If those businesses choose to withhold money because of the programming a network broadcasts... well that's capitalism in action, market forces at work. Nobody's being silenced.

• Maureen says:

I think a broadcaster who says that Sarah Palin needs to be taken out should be silenced. Remember Mr Beck said that Mr Pike should be killed, taken out, snuffed out. That rhetoric is damaging and should be punished.

• Jennifer says:

What he is asking for doesn't take away anyone's freedom of speech. Beck can still spew his hatred somewhere, but these advertisers don't have to give him a platform. Freedom of speech doesn't mean someone has to pay for you to say whatever you want to on air.
      I bet you weren't crying for America to not go down that "slippery slope" when Janet Jackson showed a nip on national TV or when Jane Fonda dropped the C word on the Today show. Were you crying for her freedom of speech?

• RJ says:

Thanks Jennifer, for your clear assessment. It is refreshing to hear issues spoken to with intelligence and rational discourse. The problem with many of our fellow citizens on the right is blindly believing in someone or something because it fits some skewed dogma or subjective belief system. Often these belief systems are bereft of empathy or compassion. We are generally a racist, sexist and homophobic nation. As much as I would like this to not be, it is true. When someone like Beck gets up on his obscenely-well funded soap box and spews his titillating venom, he knows exactly who his audience is (so does FOX).

Sadly, these players don't care if they are inspiring hate and murder. They are simply interested in the bottom line, which gets us back to the lack of empathy and compassion. Yes it is a belief in 'capitalism above all else', even if your lives are in danger, as attested to by the conservatives on the Supreme Court. Sad state of affairs folks. This is why it matters who your president is. It is not about electing someone you'd like have a beer with or some air-head ex-beauty queen. The guys behind the curtain, like Beck and Limbaugh, know well the strings of distraction they are pulling and they are laughing all the way to the bank, because they are getting paid bigtime.

• Ken says:

That is a naïve, if not misleading understanding of what the "Spirit of The First Amendment" is.

Even if Beck loses it all, he can say what he wants on the street - as long as he doesn't disturb anyone. Ultimately, it's the state (i.e. the government) alone that cannot prohibit speech. Bulletin boards and websites are scrubbed by operators because they are private enterprises.

Supporting Beck's right to spew out his "ideas" is no different nor more dignified than supporting a prankster's right to shout "fire" in a crowded movie theater.

• didge says:

Quit throwing around words like "free speech" when you obviously don't know what they mean. Pike is not asking for Beck to be put through the legal system or punished in any way. Free speech refers to the government not determining what speech is acceptable. Businesses are free to spend their money however they want. You seem to be arguing against the rights of businesses to advertise where and how they want to, which is pretty anti-American, in that it does in fact express anti-free-speech and anti-free-market sentiments.

• Fenbeast says:

How is free speech the issue here? none of the advertisers are being enjoined to stop advertising. They are simply enjoined to make a CHOICE to disassociate themselves from a network that CHOOSES to support an opinion that advocates violence. Advertisers can, and often do, pull their sponsorship from individuals and networks that project an image not in keeping with the corporate ethos they wish to project -- and Mr. Pike is simply recommending to them that they should consider whether Fox News, which openly supports Beck's twisted and violent tirades, should be among those from which they pull their support. He's not silencing anyone, nor denying them their ability to exercise free speech.

As for your comparison the attack with the attack on Sarah Palin... allow me to point out that there are no mainstream broadcasters, anywhere, who recommend using the murder of Sarah Palin or others like her as a tactic for political change. Beck has openly and repeatedly called for assassination of progressive leaders like Mr. Pike, and Fox is the only network that has (or would) tolerate such outrageous misuse of its broadcast. There are always fringe nut-jobs out there, but there's no reason corporations should support and encourage them via demogogues like Beck.

5. Glenn Beck Fan says:

Mr. pike, you promote social justice, yet you want to muzzle free speech. The "lone nut" has no connection with Glenn Beck other than possibly watching his show. Beck does not promote violence, as was seen on 8/28 with Restoring Honor. They even left the park clean, can you say the same about your liberal thinking lot? Your idea of social justice is what Beck deplores, as do I. I am not willing to live in a country where my freedoms are taken away by those that have no willingness to do for themselves. You and your liberal progressive friends promote this ideal. Your political agenda will be the destruction of this country. For me, Beck promotes free thought, to make up your own mind. Your letter to Fox News is a threat, a threat to free speech as well as the Constitution, and also the ability for those to think for themselves.

• MBL says:

Listen the the "lone nut's" jailhouse interview. He sounds utterly composed, and says plainly that he was entirely inspired by the rantings of Glenn Beck. As you surely know, Mr. Pike has and claims no authority to silence anyone - he is relying on the free market to persuade advertisers that they are contributing to a corrosive element, as is his right. And he happens to be correct.

• Bob Soper says:

It is obvious that you didn't even read Mr. Pike's letter. If you've managed to convince yourself that there is no connection between Beck's hate-filled incitements against Tides and the heavily-armed attacker who admitted he was ON HIS WAY to the Tides Foundation headquarters, you can be convinced of anything (typical member of the FOX audience). LISTEN to the jailhouse interviews with the guy: Glenn Beck inspired him to go on his rampage.
      Maybe there's still hope for you: watch Robert Greenwald's DVD "Outfoxxed." It makes crystal clear the fact that FOX is nothing but a political operation.

• jabrib says:

would you please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and go back to the 10th grade and learn what the First amendment actually says. Cowards and children always protest that heir rights are being violated when confronted with disagreement. The First Amendment says that CONGRESS shall pass no law abridging freedom of speech. It does not apply when concerned citizens express their disagreement with another's speech and urge their fellow citizens to lawfully act by refusing to support someone who espouses views which are distasteful. Mr. Pike is in fact acting completely consistent with what our founders contemplated. Beck does great harm in demonizing and inciting violence. Here is hoping that more will join in the effort to promote the American values of speaking out against the hateful messages Beck promotes.

• didge says:

There is no question of free speech here. Beck is free to say anything he wants to say. Nobody is attempting to remove his right to say what he wants. They're just trying to stop giving him buttloads of cash. Do you recall the first amendment granting citizens the right to a nationally broadcast television program? Me neither.

Get an education before throwing around words like "free speech."

• wbramh says:

Can you point to the part of the Constitution that says that private citizens are not allowed to attempt to politically sway other private citizens?
      No, you can't.

Mr. Pike has every right to make his appeal to advertisers, and in fact, it is his social and moral responsibility to do so, especially in the face of the documented danger generated by Mr. Beck's reckless rhetoric.

Considering the fact that Far Right mouths like Beck have called for the abolition and/or re-writing of the 1st, 10th, 14th and 18th Amendments, it only reenforces the absurdity of Right-wing "defense" of the Constitution. Of course, in Mr. Beck's perfect World, the U.S. Constitution would include but one Amendment - the 2nd. Yet, even there Mr. Beck and his minions misinterpret the wording, for there is no tyranny or illegitimacy in a government chosen by the majority of the electorate.

To argue against Mr. Obama's mandate is to argue against the will of the people. Furthermore, to advocate for the violent overthrow of that government is not only unAmerican, it's treasonous, and Mr. Beck crosses that line with sickening regularity.

6. Only a dozen? The Chronicle says you only sent this to a dozen of Fox's top advertisers... do you need some help researching and/or funding the mailing to ALL of 'em? I'm quite willing to pitch in.

Let me know how I can help. No self-respecting ad/PR guy would take this kind of risk with his company's reputation.

Sincerely,
    Nik Bramblett
    Editor, /I Have A Theory About That/

7. Yvonne Choi says:

Dear Mr. Pike,

Thank you for saying it. Glenn Beck is dangerous and should be taken off the air. What's most upsetting to me is that he, himself, says that he doesn't care about politics.

"With a deadpan, Beck insists that he is not political: 'I could give a flying crap about the political process.' Making money, on the other hand, is to be taken very seriously, and controversy is its own coinage. 'We're an entertainment company,' Beck says."
    Forbes, Apr 26, 2010: Glenn Beck, Inc.

"He showed little interest in the results from primary elections held the day before — upsets in Delaware and New York for Tea Party candidates whose followers often invoke Beck and Palin as spiritual leaders and even promote them as a prospective presidential ticket in 2012.

“'Not involved with the Tea Party,' Beck told me, shrugging."
    NY Times Mag, Sep 29, 2010: Being Glenn Beck

This is the man that Americans see as their leader in politics and the only "honest" voice in the media. Too bad they don't read and don't know that Glenn Beck simply sees them as a paycheck.

I completely agree with you, I hope all advertisers pull their money from Fox News before someone gets hurt.

Yvonne

8. Tracy Ford says:

Long overdue. Thank you.

9. [...] Continue reading here Dear Fox Advertiser [...]

10. AJsDaddie says:

If Glenn Beck lied, sue him. If he broke a law, have him arrested. In the meantime, please don't use the actions of the unbalanced as an attempt to silence free speech. I understand that since the MSM is now irrelevant, you have no other options, but it won't work.

The vast middle American populace is waking up from its slumber and it must be terrifying to you. But unlike the Left we don't use violence, we use the ballot box.

I can see November from my house!

• LMG says:

The right has used the boycott on many occasions to "silence free speech" with which is disagrees. Is free speech only for them?

• wow-- a typical response is to threaten and name-call? why is that not surprising? No, the MSM (of which FNC is a major part) is not irrelevent, and yes the radical extreme right DOES use violence, and obviously an attempt to use the ballot box has not been successful since the GOP holds neither house of congress nor the presidency. So really, lies and threats aren't very effective. What's REALLY ineffective is that the American public is so opposed to the Tea Party folks' loud, screaming, radical agenda that polls indicate the right won't be able to make nearly the gains this mid-term election that would be typical. That's what you call snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, for sure.

• Bob Bruman says:

YES PLEASE WAKE UP! For I see what is coming your way and it is not pretty.

"We must pay attention and act, and not allow people to speak freely if those words insight riot and harm and mayhem!"

It is time for middle America to wake up indeed! It is time to look around and ask, where are our intellectuals, where are all our PHDs and where did the wealth go and why is everyone leaving middle America? Surely with the mid-west set to heat up these next twenty years and seniors are going to multiply, people should be asking what is going on and what are they going to do then?! YES.

People have left the fundamentals...a third of the nation drops out of high school every year, whole regions have less educated people than other regions, and that is why there is a difference in politics, wealth, and health! Yes! Wake up! And start to look at what you are embracing!

Things are going heat up and things are going to break down! Do you really want the social security of this country to be put in the roulette game of the Stock Market? Individuals lost thousands, tens of thousands, even millions and tens of millions just a decade ago, I know because some of them where my friends.

Do you want a government that says we know better, listen to us as we gamble your future away, hehe? (By the way, where was middle America and the good Christian people when Bush led us into an unnecessary war that cost 12-14 billion dollars a month? Where were you then? Where was your concern then? Where was the talk for fiscal responsibility then?)

I pray for the millions of seniors who are coming and will not be prepared for the horror of the twenties, the two thousand twenties! The middle west will heat up, seniors will multiply, families will freak out, and people will turn to a government that they elected and it will turn on them and say: BE RESPONSIBLE, and the Glenn Becks of this world will not bail you out then! Then what are you going to do? WHAT?

We need to unite! We need to fix things now and work on things now - that is the one thing WE AMERICANS all agree upon! Let's unite and do that, let's insist the parties work together! Let's get behind our President and see if we can't move forward.

Many of us have given years of study to what is best, we read, we research while others are content to be spoon fed like babies by the likes of BillO and Beck. These men are haters who like to grind the truth down to a poisonous pudding to feed to any who are hungry. Don't be fooled by men who hate, because it is neither American or Christian.

This country was built on love and neighborly kindness and it is the only way it will survive. We must quit dividing and come together and we all most insist our politicians and pundits do the same.

I am a grandfather, I have a daughter and three grandbabies. I fear because intolerance hate and anger is rising in this country! Peace.

We must pay attention to the rhetoric of people like Beck, words are power and power can be brutal and cruel in the wrong hands. We must pay attention and act, and not allow people to speak freely if those words insight riot and harm and mayhem! "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Silence=DEATH.

• Mugatu says:

"But unlike the Left we don't use violence" Any specifics? I love this live of "free speech" he can say what he wants if companies pull their advertising, that's called Capitalism. I thought Capitalism was what this country was based on?

• Tara says:

"Unlike the Left, we don't use violence"? Are you high? You use the ballot box? You don't bring guns to rallies, or kill abortion doctors, or burn Korans, or march against people practicing their right to Freedom of Religion? The HELL you don't!! The LEFT is VIOLENT??? No we are not, because, trust me, if we were, certain people would have been silenced a LONG time ago, but that's your tactics, not ours...we're the fruity peace-nicks, remember? And you, AJ's Dad...you are delusional if you see it otherwise...just sayin'...

11. T. Steward says:

Kudos to you Tides for your letter. I hope that your efforts are successful.

12. Brack O'Bambi says:

So, Tides has a different perspective on things than Fox news and so Tides is trying to convince advertisers against advertising with Fox News Channel.

Which part of Tides' mission of "robust democratic processes" does this fall under?

Look, there is nothing that can stop the unstoppable Fox News Channel. Middle class loves this new channel and there is nothing you can do about it!

If the MSM has done a good job of reporting news as news without skewing everything it reports as news, things would not have been in this state today-- ofcourse, besides our crooked, lying and dishonest politicians in Washington.

Instead of focusing on Fox News, your efforts will be well spent if you target crooked cheats and thieves in Washington such as Barney Frank, John Conyers, Barak Obama and others.

I do not care if they are Republican or Democrat, I think you spend your efforts in exposing crooks in Washington,DC rather than targeting a super-hit news organization such as Fox News Channel. You will not win targeting Fox News. So good luck!

• MBL says:

Your "super-hit news organizations" is a crock, first off. And exercising one's own right to say what one wants has is not at odds in any way with supporting a robust democratic process - it is in fact the essence of a robust democratic process. The important thing is that the Tides Foundation is attemting, through reason, to persuade advertisers that their money is most intelligently spent elsewhere - they neither claim nor assert that they have a right to silence anyone. So get off the First Amendment idiocy - it is the marketplace of ideas, the FREE marketplace of ideas, functioning as it should. And finally, good luck to the "middle class' you speak of if it continues to take their cues from Fox News -- the corporatist agenda behind it cares not whether the middle class vanishes entirely. It really is painful to read your foolish comments. Best of luck with everything.

13. Rob Vincent says:

Much as I loathe Glenn Beck and everything he stands for, I find the idea of censoring somebody because of what they might inspire some other lunatic to do far more offensive. Killers and other violent criminals throughout modern history have blamed their actions on TV personalities, film stars, video games, and rock and roll music. These blames are certainly without merit, and should definitely not result in the punishment of said scapegoats; people are responsible for their own actions.

Free speech is precious, and the fight for it is one of the most important elements of civilized life today. This is a fight which only matters at all if you are willing to protect speech you disagree with like as strongly as your own.

I applaud the punishment of those who commit violent crimes, but I universally condemn the call to use said crimes as an excuse to limit protected speech of any kind even if it's from filth like Beck. I urge the Tides Foundation to reconsider whether its efforts to curtail Beck's speech based on the actions of disturbed members of his audience are compatible with its stated goals.

• MBL says:

Duse - this is NOT censorship. It is the "beloved" free market working as it should. Tides is not compelling anyone to do anything - it is making it view known based on verifiable facts (listen to the chilling jailhouse interview with the would-be shooter)and letting advertisers decide for themselves. Would you rather they self-censor and not make their views known? Please get off the 1st Amendment soapbox - it is logically ridiculous and intelliectually dishonest.

• Steve says:

This isn't censorship. It's a call to withhold advertising money. If a network that relies on sponsors sufficiently alienates those sponsors with its programming, then that network may have to find new sponsors or edit it's programming. That's how capitalism works.

• Former business owner who was crushed by monopolistic capitalism says:

Hate media is extremely powerful and extremely dangerous.

know FoxNews, Murdock, Beck and Limbaugh fully know how to make this work in your favor. It's why Carlos Slim of Mexico - the richest man in the world - is currently purchasing US news media outlets too.

Just you wait -- you'll soon see Tea Party patriots supporting Slim and his wonderful "capitalism" program. Not because what he says is good, but because Slim has the money to permeate into their brains of Americans with his "super-hit" television/newspaper/radio network.

"I'M COMING FOR YOU!" - Glenn Beck's comment to Tides. I heard that straight from his own mouth.

You may want to take a look at the middle east and how al Jazeera influences them. In several cases, US troops were attacked shortly after images were shown on that program - they never "said it", but they knew full well the words they used would cause it. Beck knows too. He's not stupid.

The genocide in Rwanda was started by TWO radio stations that were never censored -- they repeatedly referred to the opponents with non-human terms, or riled the audience by using fright-inducing phrases, such as: They have a "devious grand strategy against the Hutu" and "What shall we do to complete the social revolution of 1959?"

Repeatedly they told the audience that they would be attacked by Tutsi, a message used by local officials to convince Hutu that they needed to attack first.

A fearful audience is most likely to react in a violent way. So that's what the evil master-minds do:

Just listen to a Beck show. What you will hear is: "BE AFRAID!! WE ALL MUST FEAR THEM! THEY ARE EVIL. THEY WILL TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE!!!", almost EXACTLY the same thing you would have heard on those radio programs in Rwanda.

The sad thing is that they weren't stopped until after the president they hated had finally been assassinated and nearly a million people had been killed in the genocide.

The media really does have that kind of power.

• Reason Prevails says:

Yes, the media really does have that kind of power, but no, you're not using the best examples to make your case. Rather than call out Al-Jazeera, which has won almost every major international award for journalism and reporting, I'd suggest looking closer to home, at the national media here in America.

Our own national media -- particularly with regards to coverage of the Middle East -- is such an embarrassment that we've failed to even crack the top 20 when they release the annual findings on global freedom of the press. If we really wanted a free press, we wouldn't be pushing the agendas of a small minority at every turn, even at the expense of our beloved republic and Third Estate.

• didge says:

Apparently even people who can't stand Beck are being swayed by the rhetoric. There is no question of censorship or free speech. No rights are being threatened. All that is being targeted is cash flow. Beck can continue to say what he wants on any network that will sacrifice their reputation for him.

• Pat B says:

There is a huge difference between censoring hate speech and asking people to refuse to pay for it.

14. Crabtree says:

Free speech is one thing, but Beck, et al, are "inciting to violence," which is illegal.

15. David says:

If your ideas are so great, surely Beck will lose because what he says cannot bear the disinfectant of sunshine, right? He's not threatned anyone. You cannot transfer the actions of a lone nutjob to him or Fox News in general. Seems like all you are really trying to do is get him to shut up...sounds a great deal like censorship to me.

• Kara says:

Omg, some one is picking on Glenn Beck! QUICK TO THE INTERNETS! Don't read anything about the story just throw out some random crap about the constitution and then you can feel great about doing your part for our country.

Don't be a tit. This isn't about censorship. I'm a republican and a conservative. There is a whole lot about the government that worries me but it's not anything new. But I'm not "afraid" or "angry". No matter how many times Glenn Beck tells me I need to be holed up in my house with a survival kit and loaded weaponry because it's nearly the end of days - still not panicking. Nor am I missing it when he sneaks his dopey Mormon prophecy crap into his rhetoric.

I'm a student of history and I can see where this sort of propaganda got other countries. As soon as you get enough people frightened out of their minds about "them" (whomever they may be), violence follows. It's a fact.

However, there are a ton of people who are easily led to be afraid - who are already angry - and looking for a scapegoat. Glenn Beck delights in target identifying and hyperbole. We certainly can't hold Glenn Beck responsible for any wack-job acting on his rally cry but at the same time, we can't pretend he's not assisting them in choosing their target either and/or validating their crazy fears.

In a free market advertisers can go where they like. If there are companies out there that strongly agree with Beck's message, they'll continue to support Fox News. If there aren't - Fox will change their programming. That's the way it works. This guy thinks there are companies out there that might not realise that their money is supporting someone who delivers these messages. He might be right and some will drop Fox. He might be wrong. "Censorship" isn't happening either way.

If they put that fraud in jail, or start fining him, or forcing him to read scripts that he doesn't agree with under threat of harm - then we can talk about censorship. Even if Fox gives him the boot, he'll still have the internet.

16. [...] Williams cited Beck’s show as the inspiration for his actions. Now Tides has published an open letter asking Fox’s advertisers to pull out, citing the attempted assault and jailhouse interviews with [...]

17. Carla Bell says:

I would like to add that the advertisers of Fox News and The Glenn Beck show should not cave in to threats like this one. The advertisers on Fox News should be advised that many of us who are conservatives are also customers and I believe there are more of us than the measly 20% of this country that identify with the progressive Tides Foundation. I would be more than happy to organize a boycott of the advertisers who drop their advertising of Fox News/Glenn Beck because they are threatened by the Tides Foundation progressives.

Apparently progressives do not believe in the constitution or freedom of speech and to try and blame Glenn Beck or Fox News for a whacko who targeted your office in San Fransisco is really reaching.

November 2nd is just a few weeks away...we will take our country back and I am happy to say I can see November from my house too!

• Kara says:

How has Tides threatened anyone? This man is saying that he feels people are incited to violence because they watch Glenn Beck. If you are an advertiser with Fox you may have a PR nightmare on your hands if one of Beck's whackadoo fans finally succeeds in harming someone because they think Beck told them to do it. If you think Beck's correct and support his message, you aren't going to glance at this letter twice.

If you watch Glenn Beck and don't agree, support his sponsors and they'll continue to advertise with him. It's pretty simple actually. FYI though, that goldline company is sham, you might not want to give your support to them.

I'm tired of defending progressives when I don't even agree with them because there are so many morons with internet access and an idiot's guide to the constitution. Which they clearly haven't even read. IT'S NOT CENSORSHIP. Go visit a communist country and get a load of actual censorship. Even if Fox would fire Beck, he'll have multiple outlets to spread his fear and hate. The same ones available to you. They'll just cost Beck money so you better believe he'll find something better to do. He's not as committed to your cause as you think.

18. doug stewart says:

So Tides Foundation is responsible for "the story of stuff". Kudos to Tides Foundation. This is important information that should be taught to schoolchildren. Any teachers who think this information is too extreme or subversive should quit teaching. Maybe work in a landfill. I have a hard time believing that Beck is on the air.

19. [...] his letter to Beck’s show’s sponsors, Pike asked Beck’s corporate sponsors to pull their advertisement dollars from his show [...]

20. KGibby says:

What is it with the Progressives that when the TRUTH is told, they whine and want Freedom of Speech removed or the person speaking it to be removed - case in point, your request to have Glenn Beck removed or advertising stopped so that he is removed.

Reading some of these comments left, only proves that many people are afraid of Mr. Beck and the truth he speaks. If you don't like listening to him, so far we DO have the freedom to change the channel. I suggest that, or as it was pointed out earlier, watch his program for a week and maybe you'll learn a few things.

I thank GOD for people like Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Andrew Wilkow and the list of many others that are helping in waking Americans from this slumber so that come November, we'll vote and be rid of the ugly politics that's going on right now.

Capitalism isn't evil Mr. Pike, it's those that have made their fortunes off of it and then say it is!

21. Ally says:

I am a Glenn Beck fan and believe he is only trying to inform us on what the proper role of government is in society. He has said over and over again that he is completely against violence. Please allow him and other conservatives to voice their opinions freely.

Thank you!

• Kara says:

Thank you for being a sane Glenn Beck supporter. I was starting to wonder if they actually existed. I support Beck's right to speak his mind - even if I think 2/3rds of what he says is complete rubbish. He has said he's against violence and I do commend him for that.

Unfortunately, just because you (Ally) recognize hyperbole when you hear it and don't panic or run for your gun doesn't mean everyone does. Unfortunately, there is a significant portion of the population that can't separate the message from the entertaining (at least to his fans) delievery. It's not Beck's fault crazy people exist or do terrible things. However Beck has the ability to deliver the same information without packaging it in the crazy-end-of-days-hyperbole that validates these whacko's fears. He won't because it's not good TV, no matter the potential for horrible consequences. Media has a responsibility not to incite violence and if Beck wants his show to be on a news station, he carries that burden too.

22. [...] killed us on 9–11”.  Glenn Beck stokes hatred against progressives and the result is an armed gunman ready to take out the CEO’s of charitable organizations.  Dylan Ratigan, on MSNBC, rants [...]

23. [...] CEO and Founder of the Tides Foundation has written a letter to FOX News advertisers to inform them that blood will be on their hands if the Glenn Beck’s [...]

24. J Covici says:

I'm a 'bleeding heart liberal", called "nigger lover" in the sixties, and presently confirmed as a "yellar dog," Molly Ivens democrat. I protest the death penalty and support a six-hour work day to employ more citizens (and moms). But I approve -- with Mark Twain -- certain protocols.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." -- Mark Twain
    ~JCC

25. manny says:

This story of ppl trying to kill the employees of Tides is absurd. If there was any plot like that, you think Tides Foundation wouldn't had gone public and makes a morning rounds with their liberal media?

This is just another plot to silence Glenn Beck. It's very clear now that even billionaire George Soros can't stop the power of Glenn Beck. I wonder why Tides foundation not asking sponsors to stop advertising in MSNBC? You telling me Keith Olberman, Rachel Maddow and Chris Mathews are not instigating racial slurs? They are calling the ordinary American people whom support the tea party movement as TEA Baggers.

First Glenn Beck now the whole fox news. There is no way you guys going to succeed in your attempt.When you have anchors like Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Greta and many more, there is no way the sponsorship going to boycott fox news.

• MBL says:

There is a jailhouse INTERVIEW with the dude who planned to do this where he explicitly has he was inspired by Glen Beck to act. Get your facts straight before spewing nonsense, sir.

• didge says:

The tea party called themselves tea-baggers before they realized what it meant. And how is that a racial slur, anyway?

26. Vlad says:

Wow... I can not believe that people come here and defend Glenn Beck... And attack "The story of stuff"??? I'm not even going to argue the issues, but I'll ask you this... If you think Obama is a communist, socialist or w/e... Why is it that the Conservative party in Canada is to the left of the Obama admin? What about the British Government? Spanish Government... The whole world? You see what I mean? If the entire world is left of Obama... and Beck is calling him a maoist... whatever that is... Maybe he's totally wrong? And if he is wrong about that, and so unbelievably wrong, maybe he is wrong about much else.

And seriously ask yourself this question, before you dismiss it. Is the entire world wrong? And like... 20% of the US population that has been blinded by corporate interests is right? How likely is that. Seriously.

27. WeOpine says:

Actions have consequences Mr. Pike. If you and the Tides choose to promote a Marxist-Socialist-America-is-the-root-of-all-the-worlds-evil-and-must-atone-through-wealth-redistribution philospohy, you are bound to find some people who disagree with your position.

You peddle your idealogical position to children through propaganda films and then have the nerve to get on your high horse when people call you to task.

Free speech just doesnt apply to what you have to say, but to what anyone has to say - even if that is an inconvenient truth.

• Flummoxed says:

Wow, do you always make such huge generalizations about others?

Have you seen "The Story of Stuff?", for instance? If so, did the message strike a little close to home? It doesn't advocate for Marxism, Socialism, or wealth redistribution--it says we should consider the impact of all that consumption. Radical propaganda, huh? You really should ask yourself why a message like this upsets you so.

Tides Foundation advocates for the rights of ordinary citizens, people whose voices are often drowned out by those with more money and power.

Having someone "disagree with your position" for such a crazy idea about the goals of our society does not justify violence. Nor does it justify your casual dismissal of this man's murderous plan and his motives.

No one was "called to task". An attempted mass murder was averted by a police shootout. Would your response have been as measured, had you learned of a similar plot against you and yours?

28. Ross Howell says:

If it were not true there would be less indoctrination and more view, analyze and debate to teach children to critically think rather than join the ranks of the Delusional Deniers of the Lemming Brigade. Stick Figure Capitalism presents an opposing view the the demoralization/create a dependent citizen program Tides has given to schools to be shown as gospel like An Inconvenient Truth was before the British Lawsuit or Climate Gate. People are no longer complacent and silent. We either protect what we have or become the serfs on the Progressive master's plantation. Get some debate going or we will know that we did see the TRUTH before you destroyed the EXCEPTIONAL in America.

29. Eric M says:

How do we help? Can you organize a facebook campaign called "boycott Fox Advertisers"?

The only way this is effective is if there is an active push to CALL OUT THEIR ADVERTISERS, LIST THEM BY NAME ON FACEBOOK, AND HAVE PEOPLE WHO "LIKE" THE PAGE MAKE A COMMITMENT THAT THEY WILL BOYCOTT THOSE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES.

Boycotting Fox is not the answer...boycotting their advertisers is the answer. You get enough of a following along those lines in a social media type of effort, and changes will occur.

At the end of the day, he's a brilliant lunitic and he panders to peddling fear and violence.....and by definition, so is every company that advertises on that network if you ask me.....

30. J Archibald says:

Thank you!

I believe in freedom of speech, but it is a different thing entirely when a program calling itself a news show is actually distorting reality and carrying a strong political message. Our country is a democracy, so it is a matter of national security that we have a well-informed population. Otherwise, what are we basing our decisions on?

If people decide to vote for someone who lies and says that the national health care plan is based on "death panels" and this distortion is also presented on a "news" station, how will citizens be able to vote intelligently? We need to uphold journalistic integrity, so that people can be confident that they are getting a fair and balanced view of the important, real issues, without having a smokescreen of fake issues and lies to distract them from what is really happening in the world.

31. D. Menlow says:

Where is Socrates when we need him?

'As represented in the writings of his disciple Plato, he engaged in dialogue with others in an attempt to reach understanding and ethical concepts by exposing and dispelling error (the Socratic method).' Just a quick lookup in the Mac Dictionary

People are motived by 2 things - fear and greed. I think we have worked the greed theme overtime with the Right's mantra of no government involvement in the free market capital system. Thank you for our unemployment rate and the financial disasters that litter our human landscape today.

The fear aspect will grip the uncertainties and anxieties of those who are too far out on the bell curve, on BOTH sides. However, it is Fox News, especially through the vituperations of the Becks, et al, that takes the already obdurate listeners and gives them justification to be in this fantasy world of hyperbole and apparently grounds to attempt harm on others.

Susan Powter, the weight loss ad TV icon of the early 90's, said it best. STOP THE INSANITY

I also hold in high regard the statement I heard many years ago regarding a trial of a prominent rape case...Silence is consent. Fox News has been silent about this maniac Beck. They evidently don't mind if people are harmed with the antics of this man. Social consciousness is not something Fox News understands. Social UNconsciousness is more to the point.

32. Sherry says:

Well said, J Archibald. Very well said.
    I will add that how money is spent is a means of voting in this country. Asking someone to vote differently by presenting a compelling case is not stepping on the right of free speech.

33. Excellent letter. I posted it up on my site: http://www.thebeardedcrank.com/2010/10/ceo-drummund-pike-calls-for-fox-boycott.html

Its time that we stand up to the conservative thugs and criminals. Glenn Beck can't wash his hands of the violent tempest he has created.

34. MomsHugs says:

Glenn Beck is using the media to further his own personal power & 'purse' while doing a lot of harm to the country in the process. Glenn's techniques are those Joseph Goebbels used to manipulate Germans into supporting Hitler & the Nazi Party. Goebbels rose along with Hitler as he perfected his ‘big lie’ technique (“If lies are big enough & repeated often, the uneducated masses believe them”). He openly acknowledged that he was exploiting the masses’ lowest instincts of racial fear and insecurity to prepare the German people for war & the annihilation of ethnic and national minorities, whom he accused of trying to destroy Germany. Sound like Glenn Beck?

35. MomsHugs says:

Upon first getting cable TV, I watched Fox News, CNN & MSNBC - for about 5 months, not knowing much about any of them. This was quite awhile ago & long before Beck came on the scene. All cable news shows had conflict-oriented political talking heads basically yelling over each other so I dropped back to basic cable. I watch PBS nightly news & C-Span's Washington Journal in the morning. I watched a few Glenn Beck videos online to know he's just pablum for people who have trust issues. Funny they trust someone with a long history of being a liar.

36. RHall says:

I agree, Free Speech is integral to the American Democratic System and censorship by the American Government would be horrific and unconstitutional. However, asking Beck's current advertisers to consider who they are financially supporting and make the informed and intelligent decision to no longer support him, is a far cry from censorship. Ask yourself, would you pay a maniac to stand on the street corner and spew religious, racist, and politically charged nonsense to anyone who would listen? That’s the question that the Tides foundation is presenting to Becks advertisers.
    Censorship would be far different; perhaps it is something you should learn to distinguish before making absurd claims of Socialism, Nazism, Marxism and Communism, all of which support actual censorship. It might also be worth noting that the demagogue Beck should truly read up on the slurs he is using to describe our democratically elected leadership. Socialism, Nazism, Marxism and Communism – these are all very different political concepts, each of which has ended with horrific things that cannot be contributed in any way to our current leadership.
    Yes November 2nd will prove many things, and I hope and pray, that the 70% of moderate human beings across the country come together to end the madness created by the radical 30% both left and right leaning.

• Heidi says:

Thanks for the comment - I have one comment on your comment! Actually, socialism is a viable form of government when it is under the control of a democratic process. Many European countries have strong socialist elements in their governments (healthcare being just one example). Even in the United States, as at least one commenter here has already pointed out, we have a socialized library system. Our schools, roads, fire departments, and other public services could also be considered socialist.

The point is, any time someone uses an emotionally charged word (most of the -isms, for example), look much more closely at their argument. They are very likely trying to use emotion rather than reason to sway their audience - a tactic commonly referred to as one of the 'fallacies of logic.'

37. Dylan Tucker says:

I applaud your courage for standing up to the hate speech that Glenn Beck spews. I hope there is a way for us consumers to match your courage and help get this man off the airwaves, and out of the fearmongering business forever.
    Thank you.

38. MS says:

Glenn Beck show is more educational than how tides is portraying it. Beck shows the similarity from past and future and leaves it to the viewer for their own interpretation of how history has come today. I think tides is upset as Glenn Beck has nailed the agenda of people who are trying to destroy the foundation of this country. I will find who supports tides foundation and start boycotting them. I find how amazing that some organizations and people feel that freedom of speech only applies to them and no one else, and when someone expresses their opinions it is not allowed if they do not coincide with their views...

39. didge says:

Somebody please tell me how free speech is at all threatened here. Free speech refers to the government's involvement with what citizens decide to say or publish. To say that networks don't have the right to decide what shows they carry, or that advertisers don't have the right to choose what kind of messages to support with their money, is to deny the capitalist system that you so eagerly defend.

Nobody is trying to silence Glenn Beck. Glenn Beck will always be free to say whatever he wants, on whatever station he can convince to broadcast him, without intervention by any legal process. However, if those stations can be convinced that they don't really want to support and broadcast Glenn Beck's views, how is that in any way restricting his free speech? Does Glenn Beck have the inalienable right to keep a tv program on the air? Show me that in the constitution, please?

40. [...] via Dear Fox Advertiser- What’s Possible: The Tides Blog. [...]

41. mary says:

Imagine if a black journalist criticized the government and used violent terms like Glenn Beck uses. Mumia Abu Jamal is on death row for far less.

42. JayInAtlanta says:

First, let me say what I am doing about this tonight, and I urge like-minded people to join me.

I signed the below petition directed at all current Fox News advertisers. Nearly 100,000 people have signed.

I am writing my own letter to the same corporations to which Mr. Pike addressed his, namely:

JP Morgan Chase
    GEICO
    Zurich Financial
    Chrysler
    Direct Holdings Americas
    GlaxoSmithKline
    AstraZeneca
    Lilly Corporate Center
    BP
    The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc.

I have direct, day-to-day financial dealings with four of those listed companies, and I can assure you that I will be watching any further developments closely. I believe one month is a fair timeframe to allow the corporations to respond to Mr. Pike's important letter.

Next, a word about "free speech." It is beyond the pale for Glenn Beck's supporters to come to the Tides Foundation's website and embrace the fallacy that this is somehow a free speech issue. We saw this earlier this year with Dr. Laura Schlessinger, after she used her platform to say "nigger" 11 times, all while scapegoating her own call-in guest.

Dr. Schlessinger and Mr. Beck have the same right to free speech as every American. However, neither they nor the companies that pay them are protected from verbal and financial protest by individuals and boards of corporations.

Although I urge the supporters of these multimillionaire professional radicals to remove the blinders from their eyes, I'm sure it will be of little use. Mr. Beck and Dr. Schlessinger are paid on the basis of viewership as it translates into advertising. They are paid to incite fear and anger.

Even if he didn't have a worldwide media platform on a network that is granted a license by the Federal Communications Commission, Mr. Beck would find himself on metaphorical thin ice using his rhetoric on a New York street corner. Most of us know that the Supreme Court ruled that shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater is not protected speech. Mr. Beck has a history of wishing for the death of specific politicians. He compared the President of the United States to a commercial jet pilot who was "purposesly" crashing a plane into the trees to exterminate us all.

One can find hundreds of examples of this type of despicable speech on Glenn Beck's program. Even if it were brought before this conservatively activist Supreme Court, it might very well be considered fully legal. But undeniably legal is our right to shout back. We can demand that our consumer dollars not be funneled back into financing this speech on a worldwide platform. We can demand as shareholders that our companies hold the highest ethical standards in those they support with advertising dollars.

And we will.

43. [...] I recently learned that Drummond Pike, the founder of the Tides Foundation, chose to write a letter to the directors of numerous Fox News advertisers.  He did this because of a now-infamous incident over the summer which directly threatened his safety and the safety of his staff.  More about that incident, and Mr. Pike’s letter itself, is available here, here, here, and here. [...]

44. Mary says:

I listened to Glenn Beck a few times when he was on CNN. i wrote to CNN and told them to get him off the air then. It appeared that I was not the only one who requested that he be fired. CNN complied with the wishes of their viewers and advertisers; FOX should do the same. I am not a fan of FOX news and will only watch it when I am not in control of the TV remote in public places. These fear and hate mongers need to be stopped!

45. [...] if you need more incentive, check out this amazing letter from the CEO of the Tides (the group targeted for violence by the wingnut who said he was inspired [...]

46. [...] Read the full letter: Here [...]